Skip to main content

History of Southdown

History of Southdown

Southdown-Elementary-630x472.jpg
Southdown Elementary School was officially opened in 1953 as Southdown High School. Southdown High School was initially built to provide educational opportunities for black students during segregation. In 1969 Terrebonne Parish moved toward total integration and at this time Southdown High School became Southdown Elementary School. Over the years fourteen principals have walked the halls of Southdown School, Adrian Pertee, Louis Miller, A.J. Pitts, L.P. Bordelon, Eual Phillips, Rose Dell Lyons, Betty Peltier, Alton Johnson, William Simmons, Jr., Lois Carter, Margaret Cage, Valerie Hebert/Kanika Smith, and Kanika Smith/Casannah Moses. 

 

During the 2015-2016 school year the school board voted to rebuild Southdown Elementary School. Demolition of the original building began in July of 2016. Students in grades Pre-k-3rd grade are currently being housed at the old Dularge Elementary School, and the upper grade levels, 4th-6th are being housed Greenwood Elementary School until the completion of the new facility. 

In August 2019, Southdown Elementary students returned to their 88,000-square foot school campus.  After more than two years, students, faculty, and staff were eager to return to the new facility.  Tours were given to the public on August 22, 2019 at the Grand Opening.  The school has two stories and 31 classrooms.   In addition, the 11,000-square foot gymnasium was renovated.